Tuesday 22 May 2012

tim minchin on atheism and the after-life


...I have one life and it’s short and unimportant.

Do you feel that you are really just here for a moment and gone forever after that?

It’s not so much that I feel it that I know it. Our obsession with “surviving our own deaths”, as Dawkins says, is… er… I mean the very idea that it might not be the case just reeks so much of fantasy that it must be wrong.

But how people like you might live on is in your art: you create stuff…there is a feeling here, that, “I have created something here which is substantive and will tell people a little bit about who I am.”

It’s a lovely thought, and there’s no doubt that when people you love die, you take comfort in remembering the things they did. Whether they’re just making good porridge, whatever it is, whatever small things you will remember about them...and we can live for as long as those memories last in peoples’ minds.  But it’s sort of not of interest to me; “My legacy”. Even if you do live in the memories of a couple of generations, it’s so fleeting that it’s insignificant. But none of this is depressing. In fact it’s awe inspiringly awesome that this event has happened: one’s own existence; the idea that, after all this space, there’s you, and then there’s not you:  and you are faced with the question of how you are going to spend that time. It’s so much more profound than any hypothesis about some pathetic garden with unicorns and hugs that goes forever. People don’t even know how to spend their Saturday afternoons. What do I want with eternity?

(i have been digging around on http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/find-a-castaway and loving it. radio 4 you are a star.)

No comments:

Post a Comment