Saturday 9 April 2011

heckyeatumblr#7.

http://tumblr.com/xsx1xkgzm5    

7. Explain your religious beliefs.


I'm hungover so this will either be short and sweet or lengthy and confusing.

I find the idea of a God pretty terrifying: that someone is watching and knows everything about me (including my thoughts) and will use this knowledge upon which to base a decision about whether I will spend an eternity hopping around on clouds or being ruthlessly tortured by an angry red man.

But then again, I find the idea of there not being a God pretty terrifying too. This is it, this is all we are: we live, we die, we're gone. Boom.

I suppose my religious beliefs can't really be based on emotional response anyway....either way it's all just plain terrifying.

Anyway. I study Biology. I 'believe' in evolution. I guess that's me then, scientist = atheist.

I don't mean to say that this is purely about the maths of it. So we figure out an equation (evolution), apply it, and disprove a previous hypothesis (ie that there is a Man with a big beard wearing sandals in the sky who loves us all very much, but, given the unavoidable and pending opportunity will see to it that we suffer an eternity of burning damnation if we get a divorce/ have sex before marriage/ are gay etc), and that's that....

I guess what I'm trying to say is that just cos I'm not religious, it doesn't mean I'm not 'spiritual'. Though trust me, I'm not throwing that word around carelessly. To quote Russell Brand (ma fave),

"If you're like me, you'll balk at someone telling you they're spiritual as it's not a very spiritual thing to do, one can scarcely imagine St Francis of Assisi brushing a starling from his shoulder, grasping your palm then brusquely asserting that he's "well religious"."

Gosh I'm rambling. I just realised. Well, I'm not about to re-write this. Sorry Religion, I do understand that you are probably worthy of more than half a page of waffle intertwined with quotes from 'Booky Wook 2' (not the Bible- surprisingly) and some South Park references ...maybe I'll redress our issues at a later date, but at the moment I have got some hefty snoozing to do. Oh tequila you little whore, you are a smelly pirate hooker.

No comments:

Post a Comment