Sunday 10 April 2011

heckyeatumblr#8.

http://tumblr.com/xsx1xkgzm5

8. The book that made you a reader.


I hate to say it, but I'm not a reader. I get really impatient with lots of books...

I hate it when you can tell the author is just writing about something that happened to them, or something which they find important but they pass it off as being a character's trait or interest...

I hate it when a book just assumes like you're interested. Just cos I picked up the book don't mean I have to finish it bub.

I just haven't had that much luck with books I suppose, probably because I try and avoid 'easy reads' because I like to think I'm 'better than that'.

It's strange, because when I find a book I enjoy, I love it, it feels amazing, it can really open my mind and I thoroughly enjoy having my mind opened. Last time that happened was probably Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates. And the time before that, probably the Vagina Monologues (yup.). And before that, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. And before that, Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer, and before that, A Short History of Nearly Everything. I think that is every book I have ever read since uni. That's four years. Wow. Yeh, I need to change that....

I just don't know how to find books I won't hate. Because it's about 98% of them.

Oh and I read 'One Day', which was nice, and the movie better be good.


I'm avoiding the question.

When I was a kid I read a LOT more. I remember I took a book with me EVERYWHERE. We went on holiday to Florida and we were in the Hard Rock Cafe. I read my book waiting for the food to arrive, and all of a sudden the music got really loud and all the waiters and waitresses started dancing. I got really annoyed: I just wanted to read my book! I got teased a lot by Mum and Dad, ha. I think it was one of the 'Naughtiest Girl' books by Enid Blyton. Love it.

The first books I remember reading were all Enid Blytons. I remember there was a bookcase in the hallway FULL of them. They were all my Mum's from when she was a little girl, thick hardback books, with lots of pictures. I should try and find them actually, they were pretty cool.

So I guess the short answer is: Enid Blyton books.

No comments:

Post a Comment